Saturday, July 09, 2005

Yellow Lights and Deep Thoughts

Rushing to help a friend move last night, I was confronted with a whole bunch of yellow lights. Not like aliens or anything...yellow stop lights. Red means stop. Green means go. And yellow means... "Are you feeling lucky, punk?"

I felt real lucky. Especially with the cop sitting on the other side as I sailed past a (thank God) longer yellow light than usual. Justification? Going to help a friend.

This morning my Bible study was in Mark 3-5. At first I felt proud of myself after reading that story about healing on the sabbath. I was like Jesus. He would have ran yellow lights to help a friend. But then the super spiritual side of me that was obviously in denial realized the truth. I run yellow lights no matter what the situation is. That's bad.

As a father, husband, worship leader, musician, graphic artist, and whatever else... I find myself doing that too. Yellow does not mean hurry up. It means caution. Slow down and be prepared to stop.

I was working on a song this morning for final mixdown and realized that I had rushed past a couple of things early in the process that were now giving me trouble. Problem is, it was in the foundation of the mix. Way at the bottom. I had to tear things up to fix it. And had to redo all kinds of stuff.... All because when I first heard the problem I brushed past it and thought I could fix it later.

Maybe that's why I don't sleep. A long time ago when I was younger, maybe I brushed past something... something that didn't seem to be important. Some yellow light that said slow down, caution. And I said, "I'm feeling lucky!" and ran it. Maybe I missed something I would have seen. The crazy thing about taking chances though... eventually you will get caught by a yellow light that turns red. And at that point you will be caught in a intersection with cars coming at you from other directions and/or flashing red lights. At that point, what was the point of running all those other lights? Oh yeah... super spiritual... God told me too..., no... I had a friend in need... no... How about this. I have a rebellious streak in me that likes to peak out every once in a while by running yellow lights, listening to music on 11, going more than 20 miles over the speed limit, etc. It's adventurous, cool, thrilling, dangerous and wrong. What was the point again? I got lost there for a second. My deep thought began taking me under....

So, I will try not to run yellow lights anywhere. And as for the ones I'm already used to running, I guess I have to go back to those foundations and tear them up and relay them. That sounds awful.... But the song sounds great now... Hmmm.

No comments: