Saturday, July 16, 2005

Gurus, Underoos, and Other Untouchables

(Ok, the post is really about consistency but I just liked that title...)

Battling the fierce icy winds, Brad wrestles his will into one last grasp...

He is there.... the top of the summit. And directly ahead sits, the great Ali Baba, the wise mountain man, (originally part of the Village People).

"Great wise one"... Brad questions... Wait if he is so wise, why does he sit here in the cold wrapped in a just a blanket? Brad looks closer and notices an electric cord running back into the strange housing.

"Electric blanket" says Baba with a smile.

"Baba," Brad says through chattering teeth. "It is ok if I call you Baba, right?"

"Yes, my son. Since Ali has been taken by Muhammed."

"I feel like I lack consistency in my life." Baba smiles as Brad continues. "I don't even know if I can be consistent."

"Of course you can, son. Why are you here?"

Brad looks confused... " Uh I feel like I lack consistency..."

"No No No, my son. How did you get here?"

"I climbed."

"And what does climbing entail?"

"A lot of hard work. Basically one hand then the next then one foot etc." The light of wisdom begin to dawn.

Baba smiles again. "So then, you have consistency. You just need to apply it in the areas where it is lacking. To conquer this mountain, you had to move methodically, consistently, and with great determination. It will be the same for any mountain in your life."

"Wow! Thanks, Baba. I guess I knew that but didn't." Baba smiles, looks confused, shrugs his shoulders and then smiles again. "So, Baba, is everyone in your family this wise?"

"No my son. Gathering knowledge is forbidden in my culture. We are to only listen to the elders. I, however, chose to go a different way and was shunned by my family. As your country would say, I became the black sheep of the family."

"Baba, black sheep?" Brad smiles, looks confused, shrugs his shoulders and then smiles again.

2 comments:

Rob said...

That was VERY creative...and fun...and good!

Anonymous said...

I didn't really get it all, but that was really funny and...interesting!