Sunday, July 10, 2005

Hello to Her First

It was such a small thing, but it meant so much to her.

I came home today. We had a great worship service. My Pastor is preaching an awesome service on overcoming hurts... not like Rob and Brooke. Hurts as in pain. (Inside Joke). After church we had rehearsal for an hour and a half, making my day from 6-3. A full schedule.

Usually, when I get home, I say hello to whoever is in the living room and just go around the house telling everybody hi. This time, I made my way straight to my where my wife was taking a short nap. (Be careful... What are you thinking?). I made it a point to say hello to her first and just spend some time with her. The kids came into the room a little later to ask their mom what time I would be home. Only to find me there lying on the bed watching TV with her. "We didn't know you were home." They said.

"That's because he spent time with me first." She said with a huge smile. Then the kids had a huge smile... And I had a huge smile... then I realized that they were smiling cause they were probably thinking what you were thinking a paragraph ago. Once we set them straight though, they said they were smiling because we got to spend some time together. Go figure. So I will work harder at spend time with my wife, even if it's doing what seems like such a simple thing as saying hello.

1 comment:

Rob said...

This may sound silly...but I'm learning the same thing you just talked about. The silly part is, I am learning it from my dogs! Say what? When I come home, you know who I usually say "hi" to first? My dogs. Know why? Cause they come running up all excited to see me. I like all that attention when I come in the door, but then I started thinking about why they got all excited. Because I said "hi" to them, pulled on their ears, let them chew on me, etc. I don't really think my wife, or my daughter, felt cheated by this since the doggies greet them excitedly too, but it did make me think. What if I just pet the dogs when I come in (since I'd have to tramle them if I did not at least do that), and then make an effort to find my wife and greet her before finding my daughter, hugging her and then pulling on the dogs ears, etc. I bet she'd be more excited to see me walk in the door, too. I hoping if I don't pull on her ears, she won't chew on me like the dogs do!

Hurts (the ones Pastor didn't preach about today)