Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Like Susan Lucci...

Sometimes when I get letters back from songwriting contests I feel like Susan Lucci...

Remember her? I'm bound to be spelling that name wrong. She's the soap opera queen who was constantly nominated for best actress or something, but never actually won. Interpretation: You're good, just not good enough.

I tend to place in the top ten of every contest I enter, which is awesome. Someday though, I hope I win. Does that sound unspiritual? Remember that next time you're rooting for your favorite team. However, not winning does not mean I suddenly crumble into a corner and cry either. I go out and do it again, taking valuable lessons and experience from each new step. I have learned a lot by not letting my pride get in the way of personal improvement. I take what's valid, leave the rest, improve and go for it again. In the meantime, I get to share the songs with all kinds of people.

Isn't that what Jesus said to the rich young ruler? All that stuff is good, but not good enough. Sell all you have... etc. I like that. You want heaven? Then figure out what it's worth to you! You want to know Me, then count the cost. And now, for those on this side of salvation's shore, we know we won't hear those word in relation to being saved. But in the daily work I do, is doing a good job becoming the enemy of being the best? I will not settle for that. I will work hard to do the best I can at the things I am called to do. Even if I don't get the award, I will know that I gave it my best effort.

By the way, has Susan won that award yet?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brad,
Yes...she finally won the award...and has won it several times since the first time too...

but the funny thing is having the prize did not make her any better an actress...it was who she was all along...she had the gift all the time.

Just like you, no contest prize will make you any more valuable than you already are. If only the contest people could see what I see... You dont need to win a prize....you are the prize! Those of us who know and love you already know that!

It just may take the other people a little longer to discover what we already know...and just like Susan Lucci--it was in you all the time. It is just who you are!

From a very grateful wife,
Love, Dawn