Monday, August 01, 2005

The Misadventures of Rambling John: Episode 3 - In Due Season

Episode 3

"Mr. Joe?" A teenager had forced her way through the crowd of complainers. Eventually, her parents found her and stood by her side. "Mr. Joe, we just wanted to tell you how much we love and appreciate you. Yesterday, I was on the edge of making a bad decision..." The parents began to tear up. "I was lonely." The teenager continued. "I didn't feel I had a friend in the world. To make a long story short, I went to the bathroom and found some pills. I could almost hear the voices in my head saying, no one cares.. no one cares... But then... " she pauses and smiles. "Then I began to hear something else... a song in my heart... 'who am I that you are mindful of me, that you hear me when I call?' I recognized it. It was that Friend of God song you like so much that you sing over and over. "

RJ suddenly realizes that something in the tone of the voices had changed. What was going on? He opens his eyes only to be surrounded by an entire squad of armed angels. And every sword was pointed at him. "Don't move." charged the lead angel. RJ didn't move. But he could hear. And what he heard was weeks of work wearing down this worship leader going down the toilet!

"I started singing," she continued..."the only part I could really remember... I am a friend of God... He calls me friend. And I started to cry so I sung it again... and again and again for over an hour. When my parents came home, they found me lying on the floor of my room, crying and singing with a spilled bottle of pills to the left of me. I had realized that I had a friend and that He loved me. So I asked him o make the words real to me. To be my friend. To come into my heart. And he did. I'm different.. changed. I sometimes still feel the loneliness, but I know that He is there. The parents and teenager moved closeer and hugged Joe with a power that touched everyone around them. One by one the congregation began to hold Joe and the family until a large football huddle of a crowd had gathered in the center of the room.

The lead angel smiled at RJ. "I'm guessing that this wasn't part of your plan?" RJ just stared back at him and hissed.

"Why do you guys always show up? I almost had him! He would have been bitter! Quit the ministry! Stopped doing music. Blamed the church! It would have been a glorious victory. But instead I've been defeated by you." In response, all the angels began laughing! "What's so funny?" RJ screams.

"You weren't defeated by us!"

"Oh really," RJ stares at the very big gleaming broadsword currently aimed at his own face. "Well, tell me what defeated me then."

The angels all glance over their shoulders at the tearful crowd holding the young teenage girl and her family and the once discouraged worship leader. "You were defeated by a kind word... in due season." He smiles at the young teenager..." And a child shall lead them..."

1 comment:

Rob said...

I shouldn't have read this at this time of night (late). I cry at a lot of stuff now (Extreme Makeover, Extreme Makeover Home Edition, movies, etc), but I have to draw the line somewhere. When I tear up reading a blog it has to be because it's too late to be reading...right? Touching story. Never lead worship (aren't we ALL thankful), but I've been there. Good stuff. Thanks Brad.

Rob