Monday, August 01, 2005

The Misadventures of Rambling John: Episode 2 - In Due Season

"Young man!!!! Young man!!!! " Joe groaned as she rushed to him, stopping nearly nose to nose. "That music was too loud, too fast and too new. I like the familiar stuff, son. It's like a warm blanket. Stop singing those new songs and 'give me that old time religion!'

"But the scripture says to sing a new song..."

"We're not talking scripture son! We're talking worship service. Don't be talking doctrine to me. I can't feel doctrine! And I can't feel the spirit when you do those new songs. Those old songs are like..."
Episode 2

"... A warm blanket... yes maam, I know." She heads off in a huff, leaving Joe even more depressed than before. RJ ushers more people towards Joe. "No, ma'am, I didn't realize the music was so loud. Yes sir, I do check out these songs in scripture. Yes, I like hymns, and we do do them from time to time. No, we can't turn the guitars up louder and rock the house..."

RJ rolls on the floor laughing with delight. Soon Joe will be covered in the muck and the mire of ohers and he'll carry that frustration and pain home, and pour it on his wife and kids until the entire situation... stinks. The thought doubles him over with laughter.

"My name is RJ," he giggles to himself, "And I specialize in spreading crap. And at this rate, this guys walk with the Lord will be in the toilet. He'll be so mad at the congregation, that he won't want to lead them in worship. Or if he does, he will do it with resentment, anger and frustration. That will transfer across the spiritual connection, tot he worship team, the church, his family.... And if I can do this just right, I might even be able to get him to fuss and yell at the congregation for "not worshipping right!" and rush the resentment along like the roaring rapids of a river! What a glorious day! He starts singing "Another One Bites the Dust" while trying to catch his breath and wipe the tears from his eyes. He slaps himself on the back with pride. And that is probably why RJ never saw it coming.

No comments: