Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Are You Hoppy?

Here's a riddle:

Five frogs are sitting on a log. One decides to jump off. How many frogs are left?
Think hard!
Ready for the answer?
The answer is....

Five.

Deciding to do something is not the same as doing it. So I ask again. Are you hoppy? Am I hoppy? Or are we the type of person who congratulates ourselves for signing up for the gym? Could this be a faith and works issue? You show me your deep belief that you should go and I will show you my workout record that says I believed I should go and so I went.

And now a lyric from one of my all-time favorite songwriters: Bob Bennett

She in white dress. He in rented clothes
Bargains are struck and promises made
But soon we find those people are already dead or dying
They just exist in photographs that show how far they've strayed

Mistake the nodding of the head and all the words the can be said
Mistake the wearing of the ring for the doing of the thing

And in that quiet cemetary where theories go to die
It's not a question of believing
It's not a question of the lie
It's the distance that we will not cross for the fear of suffering
Between the creed we speak so easily
And the doing of the thing

Broken souls covered in broken skin. No resolution on the video screen
And half a world away somebody does our bidding
Because we like to pray with our fingernails clean

Mistake the nodding of the head and all the words the can be said
Mistake the sympathy we bring for the doing of the thing
The doing of the thing

I get it. Thanks, Bob. I'm heading to the gym. And some friends of mine are headed to Nicaragua. They get it too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Always nice to be quoted! Thanks for the kind endorsement of my music. Best regards, Bob Bennett (Costa Mesa, CA)