Thursday, April 27, 2006

The Dream: What Do You Think It Means?

I sit up in bed and throw off the comforter. The clock is wrong, the room is wrong. I don't own a comforter...not like this one.

Wait... wait for the adjustment... eyes focusing. There. Wait... they shouldn't be focusing. They shouldn't. I wear glasses, legally blind. I shouldn't be able to see without them. But I can. Dear Lord, I can. And what do I see?

The night sky. No ceiling... or is it a glass ceiling? I reach up... It's too far to touch but maybe I will catch a reflection.

What's that? It looks like a star, a pinprick of light in the horribly dark canvas above me. It's not the only star, but it's the only one that's growing closer.

Closer? Jump up! Run to the door. Locked! Race to the windows. Locked. I look for something to smash something in my way. No! Nothing!

It was the size of the head of pin, a period on a page. Now it's like a burning baseball heading towards the ground. Towards me.

Up! I gotta go up! I run to the walls! They're too sheer. I can't get a foot hold. I scream but the fireball keeps coming! Keeps growing! I want to curse! I want to cry! But I don't. Neither will help.

The baseball has changed sports. It's now a fiery basketball. Is it speeding up?

The bookshelf!!! The bookshelf!!! I run to the shelf and throw all the books on the floor. Dictionaries! Encyclopedias! Bibles! (Why do I have so many bibles?) Stack them! Brace them against the book shelf. Move faster!

The basketball-turned-beach ball-turned full moon is starting to fill my view. Obscuring the sky. I'm ready. I run toward the book shelf ladder and scramble up the wall. I hit the glass ceiling hard and fall back to the floor.

Deep breath! Grunt! Grunt! Run! I feel a shelf give way. But I have enough force to slam into that clear obstruction again. It strains, stretches and then shatters. Pieces of glass tumble lazily to the ground even as I rocket over the wall and land painfully in the moist grass.

The fireball hangs in the sky like the morning sun. Even if I ran...

But I can't think like that. I just have to run. I have to try!

To my surprise, my legs work like they never had before. They thrust me forward like a rocket and I watch my abandoned house fade into the distance. Then it was replaced by a large explosion. I can see the glow chasing me, pacing my steps. But it's too late. I'm out of its reach.

I sat in the grass and watched the flames attack the sky as it consumes wood, glass, books and history. Tears roll down my cheeks! So much history... so much gone...

Rising, I begin to walk towards what I can not see. I am dazed. I don't understand... not even after I wake up.

What do you think this means?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say, you are given clear vision of what is coming, the glass ceiling. Your eyes were focused, your gaze locked, your vision clear, and your mission certain - to get away.
A part of me wants to ask if you were suppose to stay and let the fire consume you? (was it really fire as we know it? Or Fire from the Holy Spirit?) But then again who would want to do such a thing as stay? (just the crazy ppl)
-Z

Brad Irons said...

I hadn't thought about the first part meaning clear vision. I can see that (no pun intended). Wow. I wondered about the fire part. I really felt I was supposed to get away from that flame. But the part that seems strange is when I stopped to notice how many Bibles were in the room. I don't think I like what that may have meant.

Anonymous said...

Well that was my first thought. Fire does also mean purification. He could be purifing you and everything you know, or thought you knew. I sent you an e-mail from a friend. He and I like to talk about dreams and what they mean so I sent him a copy. Hope you don't mind. Later -Z

Dawn Irons, Ph.D, LPC-S said...

Sooooo...THATS what is going on in that mind of yours as you kick me from the other side of the bed as you are fast asleep?

Interesting.....and I am drawing a total blank as to anything it might mean...

Love, Dawn