Wednesday, May 24, 2006

That's The Point


It never fails. I get into a conversation with someone in the workplace who is not a believer and they eventually bring up one of many names: Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Baker, Robert Tilton, etc., etc., ad nauseum.

I know the point. Yes, I get it. They blew it and got caught. But I always have to ask the same question. "If someone is caught breaking the rules, does that release you from your responsibility to keep them?" See, they're thinking that fallen people somehow invalidate the Christian faith. That's like saying criminals invalidate the legal system. If anything, it's just the opposite.

The Bible starts out with point A. We are made in the image of God. Point B. We are fallen. Point C. There is a redeemer and Point D, we are in the now and not yet. No longer what we were before, but not all that we will be. Beloved, now we are the sons of God. And it does not yet appear what we shall be, but we know when He shall appear, we shall be like Him. In other words, we still see through glass darkly and wrestle with our natural fallen inclinations.

The key to keep this car moving is that we do not do this alone. When we accept Christ, Heaven moves us from the kingdom of darkness to the light. And there, like Isaiah, we see how fallen we are. Those blinded will confess their independence. Those who see confess their dependence. To those who believe, he gives the power to become the sons of God. Those who do not, never find this power because it is not inside of us as my new age acquaintances would love to believe.

So I stare at my non-believing friend as he rants. I wait for him to finish. "These guys still break the law and though some of them are sincere, they're still messed up." (That's a paraphrase. I couldn't use some of his words.")

"Like they're in constant need of help or something?"

"Yeah, like they need Jesus or the Bible or maybe some preacher or other Christian with them every hour to keep them in line. Like they can't do this on their own or something. The only way they can do it is if they have 'Jesus' by their side."

I smiled and simply said. "That's the point."

5 comments:

hunt4christ said...

ouch that point can hurt. LOL . Usually those people will argue themselves into defending Christ without even knowing it. Blessings

Anonymous said...

You know I really like a good talk with someone like that. Granted I am in the pressure chamber wondering what in the world I should say, if I should say something, etc... I really need to get into an apologetics class. I knew I should have taken one when I was in college. But eh...
Question, what do you think of the Davinci Code? Granted it's false, but would you see it? I want to, just to know, but am I "suppose" to?

Brad Irons said...

Hey Z. I actually had plans to see it before all the hype. I bought the book forever ago and thought it was decent reading. Didn't finish it because of life situations, but I liked what I read. So I thought the movie would help me finish the book.

Two reasons I want to see it.
1. I like the cast, crew and basic fictional story line.
2. I have overheard lots of conversations about the movie from people who seem to think the story is based on facts when it is so historically innacurate that it's laughable. I want to be able to talk to them with knowledge of my subject.

If you go see it, also involve yourself in a Christian study about it so you don't get caught up in the story without knowing the true facts.

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Your reason number two about why you want to see it is my reason number one. Also I actually want to know what all the hype is about. I -know- beyond a doubt that it's all laughable fake (as you said) but my curiousity has gotten a hold of me. And I really want to be able to know about it so I can "argue" or engage in conversations about it, bk they won't take me seriously if I haven't watched it.
OH! And thanks for the happy dance from TX, I read the note and laughed, really I did. Have a wonderful weekend! Blessings -Z

Anonymous said...

Hey Brad,
Marshall & I went to see The Da Vinci Code and it was a good fiction thriller...but I knew that when I read the book. Of course I know the truth. The History Channel had a great 'myth buster' about the book and movie that blows the whole concept out of the water.