Friday, September 09, 2005

HALT

Never let yourself get too:

Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired.

These are the signals to watch out for. Ignore them at your own peril. Close your eyes to them as you walk across the landscape of life and you will find yourself looking up from the bottom of a well.

This week, I was hit by the L-train.

It's funny when you think about it. I have only a few people in my life I consider really good friends, but tons of people who consider me a good friend. But I talk to few people on a deep level. Usually there's not enough time. I haven't had time to talk to many people this week. I can feel the dangerous insulaton of isolation.

So I don't talk much past the surface. But like many creative types, I think so deeply that if I am not careful, I can wrestle with depression. And that makes me not want to be around people, so I won't bring them down. And that makes me lock myself inside of myself and lock others out... which begins the spiral. Next thing I know, I hear an echo of my own voice... and the dripping of water.

Wells are good if you want to hear the echoes of your own thoughts, but bad if you actually want to go anywhere or do something about them.

So this post is the first step out. It's the first foot on the brick. It's the grip on the rope ready to pull myself out of the dark of the well. And ready and pull and pull and pull.

Staying down here is not an option. I hear snakes can fall in wells at night.... scary!

Pull faster pull faster

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brad I more than anyone know how you feel. I have come up with what I call the George Castanza rule off of sienfiled. There was an episode that he had the revelation that all his instincts were wrong and was going to do the exact opposite of what his instict was saying to do. When he did that his whole life changed for the better, sso what I am saying to you, when you feel like you want to back away step forward. Brad I love you and want you to be able to talk to us. Besides you have the invite for a free homecooked meal one night at our house. I have missed you lately at the staff meettings. Call me sometime so can talk or skeet shoot or something. It also helps to remember that God sent Ebed Melech to pull jeremiah out of the cistern, but please pay attention to the fact that he went to the kings closet to get rags to pad the rope so that he would not get rope burned or hurt. God will send the friends to you that will care enought to make sure that you are protected where you don't have to get hurt by the ropes. Love you,
stan