Thursday, March 06, 2008

Nobama... Not a black thing... (Rant Alert)

I knew I would hear it sooner or later, my only surprise is that it took so long. "Well," he said with his southern drawl, "I don't really plan on voting for Obama... but (here it comes) I'm not prejudice or anything..."

I have recently heard people apologizing or defending themselves for not voting for Obama... thinking that people would assume they didn't want him because he's black. That doesn't count the ones who were just afraid to say anything as they sheepishly walked over to the republican booth, made their quiet little marks then slipped out.

No apologies here. I don't plan on voting for Obama. And no apologies for not voting for a black man. I am supposed to vote for the best man or woman for the job.

So to my non-African American friends, please stop apologizing or feeling defensive. Don't let our society elect someone based on your fear of being labeled a bigot. If you don't agree with his policies, simply say no. And to those who would accuse people of racism for not voting for him... how dare you! I thought you wanted change? And yet you would brazenly perpetuate your own pet stereotypes (that if I don't vote for the black guy, it's because I am a racist). I know people who are voting for him JUST BECAUSE he's black. They don't have the first idea of what he thinks, believes, what he stands for, etc. But he's black and I have to go for the black guy.

If you want Obama, then vote for him. But don't do it to "finally get a black man in office." Yes, he has some good things to say and I like some of the things he stands for. Yes, if I had the opportunity to meet him, I would. And I am sure I would enjoy the time spent hanging out. But that isn't enough reason to give him one of the most powerful positions in the world. I need more than that. I need to hear the specifics that currently seem to be lacking from his rhetoric.

Of course I think finally having a black president would be cool! But I want the best man or woman for the job no matter what color they are. I want my next president to make history with wise actions and decisions, not just because of the color of his skin. Affirmative action should not extend to the presidency! And I think Senator Obama would agree.

Rant over, we now return you to your regularly scheduled life already in progress...

3 comments:

Fidel said...

So sad, definetely you may be a prejudice, touched by your concious or an person who is totaly oblivious when it comes to politics. you don't have to say obama is not a men enough for the job. politic is a game deferent from the game of sport. you don't know obama, you never see him and obviously you don't know what he is capable of. why judge him? all politicians say things the people want to hear in order to win their support. no one is honest as you trying to show that you should choise the man perfect for the job. yhere is no such a word as parfect or good in politics. bush was elected as good for the job but he brought war and death to our people, clinton was elected as good and a man for the job but he thaught us unfaithfulness to our wive. what are you talking about is not what count in politics, the one who influence the people most wins. if he uses the race thing to wine the support or white people that fills guilty of being called prejudice, let him gain that advantage because i know that h clinton also gaining avdantage of the real racist that would never want a black man in power.
piece of advice, never act as if you know politics because all those candidates are runing for the good of their families, that what they went to school for and to feel good in life , they have to acomplish it, same as you, as a song whrite, i think you once wish you would write a song for alton john or micheal jackson that will go plantinum, not because you care about the people that will hear it, but because that what you are and want to acomplish, a song writer.

DOn't act stupid

Danielle said...

Wow, is that guy above me serious?

He doesn't know Obama either. All we see of him is on TV, internet, what we read in the newspapers, etc...so we have to base our opinions off of what we see.

I don't like what I see.

I don't like a man who will vote against a ban on partial birth abortions...babies born and still killed.

I don't like a man who for 20 years went to a church that promoted ill feelings towards the white race. That is racism.

I don't like a man who has said that he wants to ban production of nuclear weapons in the US. I'm not pro war, but I'm pro making sure the US can defend itself against the countless nations that hate us. Taking our weapons won't make world peace. It will make us into a bunch of weenies that is easy to attack.

I also want to say that the president isn't the KING. That means that what Bush did in power wasn't just him doing it. He had people supporting him. Actually, he had the majority of people supporting him in Washington. So what the guy said about him bringing war and death to us...that's just silly and uneducated.

I don't feel as if you were acting like you "know politics". You were merely voicing your opinion. If you can't do that, then what's the point of having an opinion and supporting a candidate. The men are not running for their families, they're running for power.

Eh.

I don't like Obama, and I wish that the fidel would at least have the decency to learn to spell or use proper grammar. It would have made decifering his comment much easier!

Brad said...

Thanks for the comments Danielle. Yes fidel was serious. I had other people contact me about this article. It's absolutely amazing to me! I like your points! You should put them in a blog. Let me know and I'll be the first to visit and point others that way too!