Thursday, July 27, 2006

The Place I Am Bound pt. 1


Thank God it didn't end up like this...

Time: 3:42 a.m., Thursday, 7-27
Place:
Intersection of Matlock and I-20
Scene: Green light (mine)- Red light (his). Turning left (me) - Going straight (him)
Background Music:Bob Bennett - The Place I Am Bound...

Background Music plays: "As my father before me and so now I, pause to reflect on the day I will die. As they lay me down in the cold of the ground. Remember I am closer to the place I am bound. A few final words will be spoken I trust. Be as kind as you can. Lie if you must. And remember me when I was at my best... instead of used up lying with these flowers on my chest."

Freeze Frame: I start to turn left at the green arrow and notice a new car has entered the scene: moving at about 60 miles an hour on a 40 mile an hour street. He hasn't noticed his red light or me moving into the intersection. Not enough time to reverse...

Background Music: "Sometimes death is like a theif in the night. It stills every treasure that is hidden in plain sight. But I do not flatter my own memory. I will miss you every bit as much as you'll be missing me. I wish I could be there to brighten the mood with friends and family and mountains of food. Stories and memories and tales all around... but it is late and I must travel the the place I am bound.

Time moves into slow motion: I don't know if he ever saw me at first. I was sure that he was going to hit me. And suddenly I had a lot of thoughts run through my head. I didn't know you could think that much in so little time. What should I do? Turn? Accelerate? What? If I die, will Dawn know where to find the life insurance papers? I want to play that video game with Joshua. If this doesn't kill me, I hope I'm conscious enough to remember to grab my laptop and my phone...Did I just think that?

Background Music: "And I hope that the Spirit of the Lord will not mind if you toast me with spirits of the Irish kind. Raise your glass as the blessing is said. You'll be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead."

Tires squealing: He sees me! And swerves at the last second; heading into oncoming traffic and then crossing back into oncoming traffic again. I spin out in the opposite direction and notice how many cars are out this time of morning... three... at least three in danger, there are others, but they are onlookers.

I caught the curb and spun to a stop. The other innocent car banked left to avoid the nutcase in the black sports car. And the black sports car? It did a couple of 360s, gave me an obscene hand gesture (I think. It was dark you know.) and two wheeled over the curb. Then he slammed the gas and disappeared...

And sudddenly, I felt the need to pause and reflect...

Fading Music: "As my father before me and so now I, pause to reflect on the day I will die. As they lay me down in the cold of the ground. Remember I am closer to the place I am bound."

8 comments:

Rob said...

Wow, you see your friends every day and take them for granted. You never stop to think they could have been in a car wreck and you'd never see them again.

I'm glad I saw you today. I'm glad you're my friend. I'm glad I have this opportunity to tell you how much you mean and my life. I'm glad you're still here.

I love ya man,
Rob

David said...

I am going to take his car away- the black one that is. lol

I am glad you made it, life would be difficult for many without you. You have and are 'A Wonderful Life.'

love u,
Pastor David

Dawn Irons, Ph.D, LPC-S said...

I'm glad you made it home too!

You never mentioned this over lunch today.

I'm not sure I like having to read about your life of close calls in the blog!

We really need to make more time to spend with each other! (Granted your blog is really fun and entertaining for the most part...but it is NO SUBSTITUTE for you!)

I love you!
Dawn

Brad Irons said...

I think I've been in shock about it all day. I was so sure I was going to get really really badly hurt. It was after staff meeting with everyone gone that it suddenly hit me hard.

Anonymous said...

I'm always happy when one of my songs provides the soundtrack to a significant event in a listener's life. However ... having said that, I'm so very glad you don't quite NEED this song in a strictly literal sense just yet! Best regards, Bob Bennett

Brad Irons said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brad Irons said...

Thanks for the post Bob (I can't help but want to say Mr. Bennett. It's the way I was raised. - But I get the feeling you'd tell me that was your father's name.)

Your music is a constant soundtrack to my life. "Singing for my Life" is the song I share with people who want to understand a musician's mindset. And I have shared Lord of the Past with many people. I could go on, but you get the idea.

I know that Matters of the Heart is considered one of the greatest Christian albums of all time. But I would have to say that "Songs from Bright Avenue" is one of the most honest and greatest albums I've ever heard. Thanks for being genuine and open. I know that some folks may not have appreciated it (et tu Urgent ;-) But it is an incredible musical offering. - Blessings

Anonymous said...

Wow. My computer was at the Doctors for a while (almost 1 month!!!!) and it seems like I have missed much. Thankful to say that, as everyone else has said, you have not been taken to any doctor's office on that uncertain day. I must get back to loading programs on my computer though. My hard drive fried, at least it's under warrenty and I have all the cd's still. I can sit here reload things since I didn't have to pay for a new hard drive, an easy trade. Later. -Z