Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Remember Me - Thinking Out of the Box

So as you log in to blogspot, enter your password, etc., there's a little check box a the bottom that says "remember me?".

Poor little check box! So insecure! So worried that he'll be forgotten that he has to ask the same question every time someone comes around.

I tried to sit down and analyze him. "Excuse me Mr. Check Box". I said with a disarming smile. "My name is Brad. I know I haven't been here in awhile but I'm glad to be back. Anyway, I was wondering. Why do you ask the same question over and over and over again?

He was quiet. No response. I waited. Not wanting to seem pushy. No... no response.

"I was just thinking," I continued, "Is this is a deep seated psychological problem or a deep spiritual truth that you're trying to teach." Nothing. But suddenly, I was ready to give him the benefit of the doubt. This may not be paranoid psychosis. It may be quiet strength... Maybe he was trying to say something profound.

"Are you trying to refer me back to the story of the communion dinner between the Lord and His disciples. Whoa! That's deep." He said nothing, but I sensed the hint of a smile, even as my monitor flickered. That must be it.

"So knowing the temptations and distractions of the web, you have set yourself up as a reminder that as we surf, we should do so remembering Christ. What would Jesus do? Where would Jesus surf?" The point was hitting me now. "You also are trying to remind me that before I log in and surf the universe, I should ask myself 'have I remembered to spend time with Jesus? Maybe I shoud spend more time with my Bible and prayer than I do on the web." Conviction... from a hollow polygon on a computer screen! Wow, he really knows how to use silence to drive a point home.

"Ok. I get it. I'll finish typing this and go do the devotional I neglected this morning. Thank you for your dedication to doing the one thing you know to do. Your use of your one talent has encouraged me. See you later. And thanks! Maybe you're not such a square!"

==================================
"Preach the gospel at all times. Use words if necessary." quote attributed to St. Francis.

No comments: