Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Like Jason


In my next post, I'll put up a few photos from this month's Altar service. But first, let me tell you about a great man of God I know.

He's young in years but full of wisdom. He thinks he's not really a "social person" and yet I watch his peers listen to him and talk to him. What he thinks is distance, is something felt by most leaders. And he is definitely a leader.

I have a book at home called "The Pursuit of God" by AW Tozer. This is Jason. This book seems to encompass a good definition of the rare type of young Christian I meet today. Today when most people his age are pursuing goals, careers, marriage, fame and whatever else, he is seeking first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things are being added to him. He is pursuing God. And It is that pursuit that inspires me in so many areas of my life.

Tozer says (paraphrase), "one day someone is going to pick up the Bible and simply believe it. And then the rest of us will be embarrased at our spiritual destitution and lack." We will suddenly understand that we could have had a roaring flame of romance and relationship, but settled for a candle flickering in the distance that was pretty, private and provided no sufficient warmth except for an emotional feeling inside. That's what happened when I met Jason. He was not pursuing an idea or concept or religion. He wasn't trying to be a "good boy". He knew God was real. And knowing that, he would not, could not settle for anything less than the relationship promised to him by the scriptures. A real romance, fatherhood, sonship, adoption, abba, friend to friend, face to face relationship with the King of Kings. Like Moses. Like David. Like Peter. Like John. Like Jason.

His flame has rekindled my own passion. My flame is rekindling the passion for others. And without a doubt I am sure that Jennifer Moore and her sold out heart for God, played a part in fanning his passion for God. So now I constantly ask my self, who's flame is my life fanning?

1 comment:

Jason said...

Man, I want to be like this guy! Haha just joking. Thank you for the encouragement, Brad. It means a lot, you have spoken so much into my life. I am glad to have you as a friend and a leader I look up to. You show much of the Father's heart in the way you deal with people, and how you give them the second chance. I have learned much from your mercy, thank you.